These comments are worthless as far as adding to the conversation, showing appreciation, or even pleasant to receive. They are a lame attempt to drum up business. I know this is true, because the lamest of them are almost always followed up with a link and a plea to visit them back. Not that everyone who leaves a link falls into this lame bunch. I am talking about the comments that make it painfully obvious that they are not interested in the post, like:
"This is great, here's my blog."
"Thanks for sharing. Here's my post."
"Great review. Visit me here."
"Nice books. Here's mine."
Do you know that not only have I seen some of these shit comments from the same bloggers repeatedly, but I have actually discovered where the person copy and pasted the same damn comment on every blog on the meme list!
Hell no. I no longer have the time to reward people by giving into their ridiculous tactics. I have books to read, non-sales based bloggers to visit, and a real life that takes priority of following along with such shenanigans.
Alternatives To Being A Lazy Commenter:
- Stop forcing yourself to comment on blogs that you don't give a shit about.
- Instead, follow blogs that you have a genuine interest in so that you can easily leave a meaningful comment.
- Visiting less blogs and leaving less comments is better PR than dropping one sentence wonders all over the place.
- See that you are ruining any chance you have of being taken seriously with this approach and are developing a reputation that isn't so good.
- Acknowledge that you reap what you sew. Have you looked at the comments your receiving? I bet they are almost as pathetic as the ones you are leaving.
- Recognize that not every post requires a ton of comments, and embrace the fact that it really doesn't matter anyway.
- Put work into your own posts/ blog so you can receive comments without being a desperate jerk.
- Accept the fact that this gig may have run its course for you and it's time to throw in the towel.